Community Events and Activities
- Second Saturdays Dance Seminar #3: Kristine Nutting – Second Saturdays is a series of dance seminars with invited guest artists (held at Mile Zero Dance). Each is unique to the guest and will provoke and encourage dialogue and reflection. The facilitator for November’s session is Kristine Nutting. $20 per class, 2-4pm, 10816-95 St. Pre-registration is important as readings will be emailed to participants. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- SubArctic Improv & Experimental Arts #11 – Curated by Allison Balcetis & Jen Mesch, this monthly series features dance, music, and visual artists performing live together for the 1st time within an improvisational framework. Each event features a different roster of 6-8 artists. All performances are held at Spazio Performativo (10816-95 Street). Tickets are $15 or best offer at the door (nobody is turned away for lack of funds). Show at 8pm. Visit milezerodance.com for details on who is performing each month.
- Masterclass with Sasha Ivanochko (Oct 5-7) – Sasha Ivanochko will teach three masterclasses during her Dance Crush residency at Mile Zero Dance.
Dates: October 5, 6, 7, 2016
General: $50 for all 3 or $20 drop-in
Member: $45 for all 3 or $18 drop-in
More info at milezerodance.com
- Second Saturdays Dance Seminar #2: Sasha Ivanochko – Second Saturdays is a series of dance seminars with invited guest artists. Each is unique to the guest and will provoke and encourage dialogue and reflection.
Oct 8 – Sasha Ivanochko
November 19 – Lin Snelling
December 10 – Pirkko Markula
$20 each or $75 all four classes. 2-4pm, 10816-95 St. Pre-registration is important as readings will be emailed to participants. Email email@example.com
- Mile Zero Danza Extravaganza (Alberta Culture Days 2016) – Mile Zero Dance is a host celebration site for Alberta Culture Days. It’s a Mile Zero Danza Extravaganza! Everything FREE. Oct 1-Day of free performances 5-9pm. Sat evening dance party 9pm-midnight. Oct 2-Day of free classes noon-5pm. Classes start on the hour in the following order: Beginner Ballet, Kids, Contemporary, Pow Wow, House, and Cuban Salsa Wheel. 10816-95 St.
- Drop-In Dance Movement Classes Fall 2016 – Previous ad indicated that classes start Sept 19th. Classes will actually start on September 20th (Monday classes start Sept 26) Mile Zero Dance offers a number of drop-in dance and movement classes this fall in its studio (Spazio Perforrmativo, 10816-95 St). MONDAYS: Professional Technique (10-11:30am), Beginner Ballet (6-7pm), Contact Improv (7-9pm). TUESDAYS: Toonie Yoga (5:30-6:45pm), Butoh (7-9pm). WEDNESDAYS: Noguchi Taiso (10-11:30am), Hip Hop (5:30-6:30pm). THURSDAYS: Preschool Dance Ages 3-5 (10-10:45am), Kids Dance Ages 6-10 (4:15-5pm), Beginner Contemporary (5-6:15pm). SUNDAYS: Folk Now! (3-4pm), House (4-5pm). $15 non-member / $12 member / $100 for a 10-class card. For details on all classes, visit: milezerodance.com
- WELLNESS WEDNESDAYS – A day to be dedicated to wellness!
Activities which focus on holistic well-being. From crafts and arts, games and outings in nature! Wednesdays, 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
September through December Location: Office #B08 at McCauley Apartments (9541 108A Avenue). For more info please contact (780) 424-2870.
- WEDNESDAY BALL HOCKEY AT MCCAULEY RINK – Ball hockey galore!
Bring your stick and gloves or use one of the community leagues’, and get shooting and scoring! Wednesdays 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Through September (weather permitting) Location: McCauley Community Rink. For more info please contact (780) 424-2870.
- Second Saturdays Dance Seminar #1 – Second Saturdays is a series of dance seminars with invited guest artists. Each is unique to the guest and will provoke and encourage dialogue and reflection.
Sept 10 – Camille Renarhd
Oct 8 – Sasha Ivanochko
November 19 – Lin Snelling
December 10 – Pirkko Markula
Pre-registration is important as readings will be emailed to participants. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- YOGA CLASSES – Mondays: September 12 to October 24
Six Week Session
7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Closed Holiday Monday October 10
Join Daria Kilburn, a certified yoga instructor for six weeks of yoga.
Classes at the Ital-Canadian Seniors Association, 9111 – 110 Ave.
Please wear comfortable clothes and sneakers to class.
Bring a water bottle and a Yoga Mat
ANY QUESTIONS CALL:
Connie Saccarello, (780) 424-1255
- Soccer at Sacred Heart Field – Weekly outdoor recreational soccer fun!
Come alone or with friends to join in a friendly kick around or game with the soccer ball! Everyone is welcome and we play to have fun and to everyone’s ability. Thursdays 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. throughout October (weather permitting). Location: Sacred Heart Church Park Field (9550 108 Ave.) For more info please contact (780) 424-2870.
- Lady Flower Gardens – Community Gardening Outings – An Afternoon Excursion to the Lady Flower Gardens.
Each week there are tasks and gardening chores, and also snacks and time to enjoy nature on the outer edge of the city limits! Sign up each week to participate. Seats are limited.
Tuesdays 12:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. through October (weather permitting). Departure Location: Office B08 at McCauley Apartments (9541 108A Avenue). For more info, please contact (780) 424-2870.
- TEACH YOGA – Yoga Instructors’ Training Course. Get a certificate to teach yoga. Five weekends April 2 to May 1. Call Linda Dumont at (780) 428-0805.
- Piu Yum Recreation Club – Piu Yum Recreation Club
Dancing, Exercise, and Singing
Everyone is welcome, free admission
Every Monday from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.
Boyle Street Community League
9538 – 103A Avenue, Edmonton
- Musical Mamas Singer Songwriter Support Group for Women – A wonderful gathering of female singer/songwriters and industry professionals who meet monthly to inspire, support, develop, and expand musically. Held at the Boyle Street Plaza on the last Tuesday of each month 7-9 p.m. All Ages – Free
For more information: (780) 807-5883
- Comfy Collective Kitchen – Try out nutritious, inexpensive foods and easy recipes.
Prepare three ready-to-eat meals to take home and enjoy lunch with the group. Saturday, April 9, 10:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.$4 for lunch and 3 take-away portions $7.50 for lunch and 6 take-away portions For more info or to sign up call (780) 424-2870.
- Edmonton Catholic Schools’ 100 Voices Pre-Kindergarten Programs – Genesis School, as part of Edmonton Catholic Schools’ 100 Voices Pre-Kindergarten program, offers programming for 3 and 4 year olds in unique City of Edmonton Recreation Centres and Attraction sites throughout the city. Sites include Commonwealth Recreation Centre, Central Lions, Valley Zoo, John Janzen Nature Centre, Muttart Conservatory, Kinsmen Sports Centre and many more! For a complete list of locations and information on how to register for these exciting programs please go to www.genesis.ecsd.net or call 780-638-6810.
- FREE KIDS COMPETITIVE SWIM PROGRAM – For kids ages 6 to 14 at Commonwealth Pool.
Must be able to swim 25m unassisted.
Must live within the McCauley boundary.
Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- WELLNESS WEDNESDAYS – Join us for an ongoing dialogue on wellness, explored through topics such as, How to De-Stress, Mindfulness and Relaxation, Intro to Art Therapy and more. Supported by E4C and the Wellness Network.
Wednesdays 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
June 1, 8, 15, 22
Location: Office B08 at McCauley Apartments (9541 108A Avenue)
For more info please contact (780) 424-2870.
- Local Author selling signed books – I’ve written a memoir of my life growing up with bipolar disorder, as well as a collection of adventure stories and a poetry collection and would love to sell you a signed copy of any of these, I will even deliver them. Call 587-708-0354 and ask for Leif.
- Autographed Books for Sale – Leif Gregersen, McCauley author, is selling signed copies of his two books and one poetry chapbook at a 15% discount to anyone who mentions this ad. The books are a memoir and a collection of stories and Leif Gregersen can be contacted at (587) 708-0354.
- Boomer to Zoomer Yoga – Small groups or one-on-one. Learn yoga at your own pace; at your own time. $10/hr for small group lessons. Call for more information. Sally @ (587) 336-8306.
- COMMONWEALTH COMMUNITY REC CENTRE ACCESS – All Amenities, Sundays 1-3 p.m., FREE for MCL and BSCL members.
- NEIGHBOURHOOD PAINTING – Randy, 25 years experience, $12 per hour.Offering Indoor (year round) and/or Outdoor (seasonal). Some of the work I have completed is taking care of all the painting needs at The Rock/ Breakfast Club. To contact me, please leave a message at (780) 426-1122.
- HANDS ON LTD. CONTRACTED SERVICES – Offers: Residential and office cleaning. Move ins and move outs and yard maintenance. Call Linda at (780) 619-4776.
- ART EXHIBIT/SALE – Studio 3 is located at 10308-100 Street half a block south of the CN Tower. It exhibits my multimedia art, miniature furniture and doll houses. The work is unique, imaginative and affordable. If no one is there, or for appointment, please call Marc at (780) 429-3498.
- WIRELESS NETWORKING – Are you tired of your street using you wireless Internet connection? I can set up your Wireless Router and increase your network security. Call Kevan at (780) 983-5343.
- P.A.L.S. Project Adult Literacy Society Needs Volunteers – Work with adult students in the ESL – English as a Second Language program. Training, materials, and supplies provided. Call (780) 424-5514 for more information.
- WECAN FOOD COOP – Monthly Food Basket $15/meat order, $10/produce order – Annual Membership is $5. Upcoming deadline for payment is Friday, October 7. Payment can be at McCauley Boys & Girls Club, during business hours, Monday – Friday 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Next depot date is Thursday, October 20, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. at McCauley Boys & Girls Club (9425 109A Avenue). For more info please contact (780) 424-2870.
- FREE GUITAR LESSONS – Drop-in guitar lessons for all ages and skill levels. Everyone welcome. Guitars available to use. Every Monday 8:15 p.m. – 9:45 p.m. Location: McCauley Boys & Girls Club, (9425 109A Avenue).
To sign up for guitar lessons or for more info call (780) 424-2870. Sponsored by the McCauley Community League, E4C and Ansgar Danish Lutheran Church.