“When we give cheerfully and accept gratefully, everyone is blessed.” – Maya Angelou
We are approaching the festive season, one where get-togethers take place and hearty meals are shared. Unfortunately, for some people these pleasures are not possible for financial reasons or lack of a support system. A gift of helping others is a great gift!
Several inner city agencies take donations of goods or money, as well as volunteers, to give those who are not fortunate a nice meal to celebrate during the holiday season and all year round. Donations for holiday dinners are always appreciated, as the holidays are not the happiest time for all.
Receiving is also a gift, and if you are a low-income resident of Edmonton, the holidays can be trying on a limited budget. The Christmas Bureau has criteria to receive donated services. All the information can be accessed at www.christmasbureau.ca/need-help/ or by calling 780-414-7695.
Walk-in applications will also be accepted by the following agencies (you don’t need to have an association with them):
- Bissell Centre – 10527 96 St.
- Boyle Street Community Services – 10006 105 Ave.
- Edmonton Vietnamese and Chinese Seniors Association – #6, 10650 101 St.
- McMan Youth Family and Community Services – 12604 126 St.
- Mosaic Centre – 12758 Fort Road
- Oliver Centre – 15830 100A Ave.
- Terra Centre for Teen Parents – 9930 106 St.
- WECAN – 248 Riverview Crossing
You will need to provide information regarding your combined household income, proof of Edmonton residency, ID for all individuals on the application form, and say whether you own or rent your home. More information is at the website above.
Happy Holidays to all!
Ian is soon to retire as a member of the newspaper’s board. He lives in the area.