Ability and Community

Tax Time

“You don’t make it anywhere without someone helping you out.” Ramon Rodriguez (Puerto Rican/American Actor)

The above quote rings true with me, especially at this time of year. Yes, it is federal tax time! I get very intimidated by the process and I do not have the financial state to hire or pay someone to prepare my taxes.

That is where the helping hand comes in. Even if you do not draw an income, but receive provincial or federal support, filing taxes is important: filing taxes makes you eligible for the Goods and Services (GST) refund, as well as the Carbon Tax refund.

Taxable income includes employment income, rental income, and money you receive through some government programs. Tax credits and deductions reduce the amount of tax you must pay.

Fortunately, in our city and in the community we have organizations that will voluntary prepare and file your return for you! In this area we have:

  • E4C (9321 Jasper Avenue – Phone: 780-425-5911)
  • Sage Seniors Association (15 Sir Winston Churchill Square – Phone: 780-423-5510)
  • Bissell Centre (10527 – 96 Street – Phone: 780-423-2285 ext. 111)
  • The Salvation Army (9618 101A Ave. – Phone: 780-423-2111)

You can also Google “volunteer tax services Edmonton.”

Income taxes serve an important social and economic purpose. However, you want to make sure you’re only paying the portion you truly owe, and to receive the returns and credits for which you are eligible.

You can call the services listed to check dates and hours of operation. It is usually a first come, first served basis. You will need Government issued I.D. and all your past year’s (2018) T4 slips. It is wonderful that agencies supply these volunteer services!

More in this issue

Janis Irwin MLA

Neighbourhood Views

Around the Neighbourhood

Volunteer With Us!

We are always looking for new writers and photographers, as well as ideas for future stories. We also regularly need block carriers to help with the delivery and distribution of the paper. Email Paula with your submissions, feedback, ideas, and availability. We also ask that contributors read our Editorial Guidelines and that all volunteers read and agree to our Code of Conduct.

Next Issue . . .

Volume 40, Issue 6 will be published September 15. Articles and photos concerning community news, events, and opinions are welcome. We also accept submissions of poetry and cartoons. Deadline: August 22, 2019. Send submissions to: editor@bmcnews.org. Articles should be 400 words or less and accompanied by photographs (JPG, in high resolution) when possible.