Valentine Thumbprint Jam Cookies
Here is a tasty treat that is fun to make for someone special – including yourself!
1 cup butter softened
2 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup granulated sugar
½ teaspoon almond extract
½ cup raspberry or strawberry jam
Measuring cups and spoons
Heat oven to 350 degrees
- In a bowl combine butter, granulated sugar, and almond extract. Next, using a mixer at medium speed, beat to creamy consistency.
- Add flour, then beat at a low speed. Be sure to scrape the bowl. Continue until all ingredients are well mixed together.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Place parchment paper onto a cookie sheet.
- Using the dough, make 1-inch balls. Place them approximately 2 inches apart from each other on a cookie sheet.
- Gently press down on the centre of each ball of dough twice with your index finger at opposite diagonal angles, to create the indented shape of a heart.
- Fill each indentation with your choice of either ¼ teaspoon raspberry or strawberry jam. Be careful not to fill it too much.
- Place in oven and bake for 14-16 minutes. Edge of cookies should only be lightly browned. If they are in the oven beyond this point, they will become rock hard when cooled.
- Remove from oven and let cookies cool.
Yovella is a former resident of McCauley who still works and volunteers in the area.